Saturday, 24 September 2011

Greece and the EU: Taking the Piss

Daniel Hannan relates a witty anecdote about the disappearance of the Greek head of state's fountain pen at a Cabinet meeting.

I am reminded of an ancient joke about the primary school teacher who discovered a suspicious puddle in the classroom after letting the children out for a break. When they return, she asks who was responsible. No one owns up. Thinking that the culprit must be too embarrassed to do so in front of the whole class, she says that she will turn the lights out and draw the blinds, and enable the culprit to own up via the pen and paper on her desk. In total darkness, she hears a suspicious hissing sound followed by the pen scratching. She turns the lights back on and steps in a new puddle, before discovering what is written on the paper: -

"The phantom piddler strikes again!"

Is there just a vague echo here of what Greece is doing to the EU - or perhaps what the EU political class is doing to its member states?

2 comments:

  1. Actually no matter if someone doesn't be aware of after that its up to other people that they will assist, so here it takes place.

    Here is my web-site :: http://Www.rantime.com/groups/wasserfeste-mp3-Player

    ReplyDelete
  2. My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I
    might check things out. I like what I see so now
    i'm following you. Look forward to looking at your web page for a second time.

    Look into my webpage ... mp3 player im angebot

    ReplyDelete